For this recipe, you will need:
• 2 cups of cooked jasmine white rice (better if left refrigerated overnight)
• 5-6 tablespoons of American ketchup
• 30 grams of raisins
• 30 grams of frozen vegetable assortments (peas and diced carrots specifically)
• Ham with high fat content or Bacon
• Sausages, cut into 2 inch portions
• 400 grams of lean chicken cuts
• Cooking flour
• 1 cup egg wash
• 100 grams Panko breadcrumbs
1. Begin by soaking the chicken in the egg wash and coating it in the bowl of Panko. breadcrumbs. Repeat this process until the exterior has a consistent texture.
2. Once tempura-ed, cook the chicken meat in a deep-fryer or air fryer until golden brown in medium-high heat for 30 minutes.
3. Deep-fry/air-fry the sausages in very high for 5 minutes.
4. Leave sausages to rest.
5. In a large wok, begin cooking the ham/bacon until fat begins to rind.
6. Add 2 tbsp of canola oil to the wok and cook ham/bacon until mildly crispy.
7. Remove the ham/bacon from the wok.
8. Add all other unused ingredients into the wok and consistently stir the pan.
9. Add around 1 tbsp of ketchup into the wok and continuously stir until rice becomes softly red and orange.
10. Add the ham/bacon back into the wok.
11. Season with salt and pepper.
12. Plate the dish with the chicken and enjoy.
By no means is the recipe and cooking methodology exhaustive. Like its origins, the dish is always changing and ingredients may vary from cook to cook. What was provided is a good base for you to be able to branch off and incorporate your own ingredients (such as spam and corned beef). Whatever you come up with at the end of the day will be a faithful recreation of the dish as long as you adhere to it’s one and only principle: experiment as much as possible.
If you missed last week's article, check out this recipe for the local classic Thai Style Crab Omelette here!
Photo credit: vaya.in